When In Rome


I was starting to get irritated.

I had left the job in Shawnee, Kansas with my mind intent on getting lunch before I got to the Kansas City airport...

...and anyone who’s ever been in the KC airport knows why.

It’s a tiny place and the food choices are pretty poor. There’s hardly anything at all beyond the security gate.

So, I drove and looked.

Arby’s, McDonalds, Burger King.

Kept driving.

Actually googled “Food near me.”

Was offered a couple of options.

But there wasn’t anything close...

...they were pushing me towards the airport.

Pizza Hut, Subway.

Not happening.

Then I saw the sign for Scott’s Kitchen.

No idea.

Knew I hit it perfect as soon as I walked in the door.

Kansas City Barbecue.

The menu was on the wall.

There was a line.

I listened to the guy in front of me order.

He wanted two meats with two sides.

Me too!

He ordered the burnt ends and the ghost pepper sausage.

Perfect!

“Sides?” The girl behind the counter asked.

I knew the sides I wanted. I was hoping this guy ordered the same ones.

“Beans and slaw,” he said.

He got it!

I ordered the exact same thing.

“$14.60,” she said.

A Big Mac, fries and a drink runs you that much.

I posted the photo.

“How many people ate that?” A few people asked me.

Just me.

Not a bean or a slaw left.

Two hours later, I was on the plane. I’d paid a little extra for an exit row seat and the seat beside me was empty.

I do remember taking off, but when I woke up the attendant was asking me if I had garbage.

“Would you like crackers or pretzels?” She asked.

“Nah, I’m good,” I said. “Still full.”

“Barbecue?” She asked.

I laughed.

“How’d you know?”

“Kansas City,” she said. “You had to.”

So, there.

I had to eat it all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie