“You Were Geeky-Looking”

Hanging in my parent’s basement can be a real trip.

I remember, as a teenager, sitting on the floor of the storage room reading all the newspaper stories about JFK getting gunned down.

My Mom saw me there and I thought she’d be mad, but she was actually good with it.

On Christmas Eve, I noticed my kid in the same room. He was holding my year book. The brown one. My junior year.

“Wow,” he said. “You were geeky-looking. Tall and skinny and all that hair.”

He checked out my basketball photo. That was the year we were actually good. I didn’t have a whole lot to do with that, but when I looked at the photo...

...it all hit me like a tidal wave.

Then I read some of the signatures from my good friends, and a couple of girls that I really liked.

There was a group photo of a bunch of us and one young gal that I hung around with a lot back in those days had her arm resting on my shoulder.

She was wearing a great smile, and I thought about how much I missed her all of a sudden. I haven’t seen her in at least 25 years, and haven’t sent as much as a Facebook message in all that time.

“I hope she’s had a great life,” I said, to my wife who was looking over my shoulder.

And then I saw a message from a friend of mine back then.

Danny was the shortstop on our softball team. Probably two months after he signed my yearbook that year, he died. Struck by a car. He was wearing his softball shirt at the time.

“I’ve never met a kid with such good aim with a basketball or a rock at a street light. I look forward to all the fun we’re going to have as seniors.”

He signed it:

Dan “Yell” Alf.

I read that message about ten times.

“He never got to live his life,” I whispered.

“Was what scared the hell out of me with the boys.”

That was 1981.

38 years ago.

“It was another lifetime,” I said.

“It was,” Kathy said.

But this is the key to that:

All the love that I felt for my friends and those girls...

...it’s still there.

Just dancing around in the air that surrounds me. Just waiting for me to grab ahold of it again.

I felt the sting of Danny’s passing.

I could almost hear his voice.

“You always make me smile,” one girl I knew then wrote. “Don’t ever change. Stay happy because you make me happy.”

“We had fun,” I said to Kathy.

“Good for you, I hated school,” she answered.

I felt bad for her.

She missed out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie