Little League Memories

I have a little league all-star trophy in my Yankees room.

I was one of 4 Mets representatives from the 1977 season. It was a year that we won a few playoff games and actually went to the championship games against the Tigers.

That was a best 2 out of 3 series but there was no reason to play game 3 because the Tigers pounded us in the first two.

It was a horrible defeat, but prepared me for all those Bills Super Bowl losses.

I was a catcher and a pitcher during my little league career. I wasn’t a power hitter, but I hit a lot of singles.

Right over 2nd base.

I remember a lot about those days.

When I was 9 we pulled up to the field to play the hated Red Sox.

“Mom, they have a man on their team,” I said, pointing to my buddy Jeff Renaldo who was about 6’ 180 as a 10-year old. My knees were shaking when I stepped into the box. Jeff threw hard, but he also threw a change up.

I hit the change up.

I also remember getting a hit off Digger Braymiller when we played the Cubs in the playoffs.

I led off the inning with a triple! In a 1-0 game. My teammates struck out, leaving me stranded at 3rd.

We lost 3-0.

I also remember a playoff game when I was 10 years old. We were playing the heavily favored Braves who had the Mathis’, Mark Lawton and my buddy Al DeCarlo. We batted first and I walked and scored when Bobby Feltz hit a homer.
I recall scoring that run because it was all we scored.

We lost 44-2 and one of their players, Owen Vega hit a half a dozen homeruns.

I also discovered how cool girls could be. We had Andrea DeMeo on my team and every guy on the team was in love with her.

One other girl player I remember was Monica Loretto. She played second for the Pirates (I can’t believe I remember that) and I hit a line drive right off her face. There was a lot of blood. I felt bad for a long time there.

I recall Dad getting a game cancelled, my first hit ever, and my Mom being there for every game. I recall the ice cream cones when we won...

...and the sadness when we lost.

The Tigers smoked us in those two games and we didn’t win it all.

I thought of that as I watched the recap of Venezuela beating Mexico.

Recalled pitching all those years ago.

I didn’t throw hard but I threw strikes.

My buddy, Chris Slupinski took me deep in that big game. That ball might still be going.

Ahh...

...memories.

The all-star trophy confirms it all.

I was a star.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie