Fourth Place

So, I played a round of golf with three old college friends.

It was great seeing them.

Problem being, they all played on the college golf team. They had scholarships to play and one of them is a course pro who spends his days teaching the sport.

A lesser man might have been intimidated.

I calmly walked up and hit my drive down the middle.

Then, one by one, they hammered theirs about a hundred yards past me.

It was fun to watch.

Long drives, perfect chip shots and long putts that made the hole on the very last revolution.

It was amazing, actually.

We were also betting with the 4-some in front of us so there was no moving the ball, or taking a second shot...

...had to actually play the rules!

I was about 145 yards out on one hole.

“Put it on,” all three said.

I wasn’t sure I was capable of that as it’s a weird yardage for me.

I stayed down and hit it perfectly. It was way up in the air. A pretty golf shot.

“Good hit,” the pro said!

I was going to be on...

...and then the ball came down...

...it hit the flag, rolled down the pin...

...landed about 7’ away.

And I sunk the putt!!!

The next guy up, sunk his putt from 12’ away,

And the last guy to get to the green, sunk his putt from about 18’ away.

Plunk, plunk, plunk.

4 pars on the hole.

Whoa!

We sat down for lunch after the round.

“Assess my swing,” I said.

He laughed, but we’ve been friends for years.

“Grip and posture,” he said.

“Grip?”

“You hold the club wrong.”

Really????

I’ve been playing for 38 years.

“And you need to stand straight up. Your hand-eye coordination is good, but you need to change the grip.”

He showed me the right grip.

How can I do that?

We shall see, I suppose.

We won our little battle with the other 4-some.

I didn’t help much, but I did hit the flag and then make the putt.

For one hole, I tied the 3 good golfers.

We talked about that a little longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie