Baseball On the Radio

They play so many games.

About 180 a year.

I’ve been following the sport for 50 years.

That’s a lot of games.

It’s like a soap opera for me. I keep an eye on all the numbers.

“How many RBI’s does Joey Votto have?” I asked Jake.

“60?”

“39”, I said.

“Man, that’s not right,” Jake said.

He follows the sport too.

Yet, one of my favorite things is listening to the sport on the radio.

Last night I was keeping an eye on Yankees-Indians. Then Kathy asked for a cold drink...

...of the frozen lemonade variety.

I begrudgingly got in the car.

The game was on the radio. The Indians feed.

“And here’s the pitch. It’s...down and away. Kipnis grounded out last time. Tanaka is ready. He’s pitching out of the stretch for the first time tonight. Low. Two and oh.”

I headed into the store.

Took a full four minutes.

“And it’s a slow roller to second. Torres flips to first to the out, but Ramirez moves up to second.”

I can understand why that might be considered boring to the common person, but it was immensely interesting to me.

I saw the field clearly...

...imagined Tanaka throwing from the stretch...

...saw Torres make the play.

Poetry.

And I thought about all the games I listened to on the radio...

...game 162 back in 1978 when all the Yankees had to do to avoid a one-game playoff against the Red Sox was to beat Cleveland, who was in last place.

They lost.

I was so sad that day, but in hindsight, I’m glad they lost...

...or Bucky Dent wouldn’t have happened.

Then there was opening day in 1993.

Yankees were playing the Tigers.

I was at work in Cartland, New York.

No chance to watch, but so excited to listen.

I think about that day every opening day.

Long car rides...

...I listened to the Phillies-Padres one night as I was driving home from Syracuse.

And I don’t care what anyone says, baseball is the best sport on the radio.

I pulled into the drive as Tanaka retired the side.

“After four and a half it’s 2-1 bad guys,” the announcer said.

I thought of Vin Scully calling a game...

...the absolute best to ever do it.

Baseball!

Perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie