Celebrate Instead

It’s been 9 years since my Dad passed away suddenly.

There are still days when I think of calling him to tell him something.

I can’t even begin to imagine what he’d say about Trump.

Yet...

...I’m not a fan of acknowledging death days. It’s impossible to not think about it, but I don’t want to forever hate a day.

As luck may have it, I was actually in Connecticut this week. Dad was working up there in 1988 and I was toiling at a pretty lousy job at home.

“Come up here,” he said. “You can work in the office.”

And just like that, my career was born. I gathered a lot of experience, and we hung out for a few months in a big apartment in West Haven.

Then he quit and went home, and I stayed and finished the job.

As I drove through the state this week I remembered so many things about our time there.

Dad was younger than I am now.

That alone is amazing, but then I considered that it was 31 years ago, and I was just 23 years old.

We had elaborate meals.

Dad was an amazing cook, and he taught me a lot of the sauces during that time period.

We went to Yankees games.

We ate at fancy places.

And I watched him at work...

...which is something I think of a lot. He was amazing at what he did.

“Thirty-one years!” I said, in disbelief.

And I did feel good for the time we had and the life we lived...

...but there was sadness too.

“Nine years!”

Man, time flies, but memories don’t fade...

...and love beats death.

Still wish I could call him though.

We have a lot to discuss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie