My God! It’s Cold!!!

I was walking in downtown Buffalo and I felt pretty good about how I was dressed to handle the two-block jaunt.

Long underwear, compression socks and heavy wool socks with work boots. A heavy pair of jeans, a hoodie over a shirt and under a Carhartt. The hood was up and over my hardhat. Two pairs of gloves.

The walk to the site was okay, but I was with the wind. On the way back to the car, though, as I tried to battle the wind...

...my freaking huge forehead got so cold that I thought it might just explode.

“****, ****, ****!” I cried out.

(Same word 3 times).

If you’ve walked against that wind, you know the word.

And it’s supposed to get colder!

1 Degree is the projected high for Friday.

One!

Why bother???

Are we supposed to know that it’s not actually zero?

“I wasn’t going to go to work today because they said it was going to be zero, but when I heard it was actually going to be one, well, that’s a different story! I can handle one!”

And it’s gotta’ get better, right?

Right???

“What if doesn’t get warmer?” Sam asked. “Wouldn’t it suck to freeze to death?”

Uh. Yeah. It would.

“How’s it going?” The convenient store clerk asked me this morning.

“Anyone mention that it’s cold?” I asked.

“You’re the seven thousandth person who’s mentioned it,” she said.

And someone always knows some time when it was colder.

“I worked in Minnesota one winter,” one guy said. “35 below and wind chill was 60 below. We all worked through it.”

“Good for you,” I said. “It doesn’t make me feel warmer because you told me that story.”

Why bring that up?

I hope his forehead freezes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie