How Was Your Stay?

We decided to catch a movie in the room on Sunday night.

“Come with me to have a cigarette,” Kathy said.

She’d made the trek on her own plenty of times, but I decided to get some air.

Why not?

Ten minutes later we were back in the hall in front of our closed door. I put the card in and it flashed green, but when I tried the handle, the lock didn’t budge.

We tried that particular maneuver about 30 more times. Arrived at the desk. The disinterested clerk explained that I should wiggle the handle up.

Back to the room...tried it 30 more times.

20 minutes later, Kathy arrived with keys to another room.

“That doesn’t work!” I growled.

I had none of my things!

I have routines to follow!!

I returned to the desk.

“We haven’t been able to reach maintenance,” she said.

“This isn’t my problem,” I reminded her. “It’s a billion dollar company. Get the door open!”

An hour later, midnight now, she was in the hallway trying the same maneuver with 5 different keys.

“What can you tell me?” I asked, from the doorway of the room next door.

She mumbled something.

I tried to be patient. (It’s a New Years resolution).

I went to bed...brushing my teeth with the tiny plastic toothbrush they were gracious enough to provide.

“It’ll be open in the morning,” the girl said.

Her morning and my morning are different, evidently. I was out of bed after about two hours of good sleep.

Ten hours after the lock somehow broke...

...the maintenance man got the door open.

“Even if you hadn’t gone with her for a cigarette,” he said. “It still would’ve happened. You would’ve  been locked in and she would’ve been locked out.”

“That would’ve worked,” I said.

He laughed.

“You’re an important guy,” I said to him. “Glad you didn’t call in sick today.”

There were a lot of apologies.

But that didn’t help the angst of not being in my routine.

And people wonder why I don’t take vacation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie