Award Shows

I’ve never watched the Oscars or the Golden Globes or the Grammys or any other of the award shows that are scattered throughout the year.

I do follow the results because you just can’t miss hearing the speeches, but I hate the self-importance  of it all...

...and in full disclosure I did attend 3 or 4 Book Awards Shows, and I even appeared on a couple writer panels.

(I’d started writing this...saw an email alert and found out that The Big D won first place in the Fiction Category at the New England Book Festival - more on that later - I’ll probably go to the Awards Show!)

Back to the original idea:

I did attend shows...

 ...Part of the reason for that was that I had something to say. I spoke of Jeff’s life and to hear people laugh at his antics was necessary. I also spoke about The Woman and Children’s Hospital of Buffalo because I owed them.

Yet, I was on one panel in New York and one of the other writers seated right next to me started talking about his “process”.

And I thought:

“Dude, who gives a crap?”

And I get it, stopping for a moment to appreciate an accomplishment is necessary, but if you do something because you’re going to be acknowledged for it...

...well, that’s annoying to me!

And that’s why the Oprah speech was a tad overhyped. Her words were brilliant, and it is an important subject...

...but Hollywood has always come off as a bit too self-important.

It’s why they’re all so roundly criticized.

Harvey Weinstein was allegedly a real dog, and many people knew of his garbage...

...and stayed quiet.

There were also whispers of other bad characters.

So, the fact that they all dressed up and lectured the world on the proper way to behave...

...well, it’s kinda’ like:

“Dude, who gives a crap?”

Hopefully things will change and that Oprah’s words don’t ring hollow.

Maybe Hollywood can lead the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty