Manhunt: Unabomber

We found a great show to watch...

...I’m not even sure what format it’s on.

(In full disclosure I can barely turn the television on and there is hell to pay if the kids don’t make it so I can hit just one button in the morning).

I knew the story of the Unabomber, of course. We were all gripped in that fear, but the show is expertly done...

...and I’m finding myself trapped in the idea that Ted Kacinsky became the man that he became. He was Harvard-educated...he began his academic career at 16...

...An IQ of 168. A mathematician who wrote a thesis that only a handful of the world’s most perfect minds could understand.

Diseased by isolation.

How do you go from brilliant to diseased?

And, of course, he lived a life that was devoid of real love, and that will do it.

We need to feel things. We need a little of the human touch. We need to take the dogs for a ride, laugh with a friend, relax.

My beautiful wife often tells the story that had she not saved me I would’ve wound up as the Jack Nicholson character from ‘As Good As It Gets.’

And I might have.

She ran into me when I was working on 3 books at once. There’s one famous night that we talk about. I was on a deadline to edit Waldorf & Juli and she stopped by with a case of beer and three videos.

I made her leave.

“You were obsessed!”

Yet, there was so much more. He was absolutely obliterated at Harvard by professionals who were supposed to teach him.

He was ill-equipped, due to a lack of social skills, to handle the beating that life gives...

...to all of us.

Isolation.

Desperation.

Explodes into pain.

Balancing things out can be difficult.

When the new book was ready Kathy said:

“I didn’t even know you were writing one.”

And that’s what has changed through the years. You can live with obsessions and can exist in your little dreamworld, but you can’t live there alone.

Watch it!

It’s great!!

I’m a little obsessed with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie