And That’s That

The game was nearing a conclusion after the Bills backup QB, Nate Peterman, threw a ball that looked like it was picked off to finish the season.

Yet, did the ball move in the guy’s hand?

Did it touch the ground

Did he control it all the way?

I could see the hole in the eyes of two of my boys. They’d waited 17 years.

“How the hell do I know?” I asked. “I don’t know what a catch is.”

It’s been 265 months, and counting, since the Buffalo Bills won a playoff game.

“The call on the field stands,” the ref announced.

“Bullshit!” Sam called out.

And just like that it was over.

They didn’t score a T.D.

They won’t have a chance to beat New England next week.

The boys retreated to their rooms.

A half an hour later, Sam emerged.

“They’ll go back to the playoffs quicker this time.”

If they wait another 17 years I’ll be in my 70’s.

Maybe by then they’ll have the catch rule figured out by then.

“Who we rooting for now?” I asked.

“Anyone but Brady,” Sam answered. “I don’t want to see them celebrating again. I don’t want to watch anymore anyway.”

I know that feeling.

The Yankees got close last year...

...I skipped the first two World Series games...

But they’ll bounce back.

By the time the draft rolls around there will be a lot of talk about playing more playoff games.

“I’m glad I didn’t drive down there for the game,” Jake said. “That would be a long drive back.”

Ah well.

“We’ll get ‘em next year,” my Dad used to say every year.

What else is there to cheer up two disappointed boys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie