Do Something Else

Two flying stories for your amusement...

...maybe.

I went from Des Moines to Chicago on a tiny plane, but was looking forward to the second leg, from Chicago to Boston, because the plane is bigger and I had a window seat. I planned on sleeping.

I got to my seat at 28 A and there was a middle-aged woman seated there.

“You’re in my seat,” I said.

“Here’s the thing,” she said. “My husband is here, and he’s very ill. Do you mind switching with me?”

The old guy looked a little green.

“I’m in 28 E,” she said.

“A middle seat?” I asked.

“Yeah, Sorry,” She crinkled her nose.

It was a middle seat between two guys who looked a little like John Candy.

What do you do????

She was begging me with her eyes.

I nestled in between the two huge guys...there was about 1,100 pounds in row 28.

Needless to say, sleep wasn’t coming.

But I survived.

Why did the nuns make me nice?

Then, on the way out of Boston (Home of the AFC Champion Patriots), I was in line to go through security when a TSA agent came barreling through.

“One side,” he said to me as he brushed past and went straight for a couple of kids who looked to be natives of India.

“Turn the suitcase the other way!” The guy yelled.

The kid looked confused. He shifted the bag, but it wasn’t to the TSA guy’s liking.

“Holy crap! How dumb are you?” The agent said. He picked up the kid’s bag and tossed it on the belt.

There was an elderly woman behind me, and I saw the shocked look on her face.

The agent turned to both of us.

“And they want to legalize weed,” he said. “People are this dumb and they want to make sure everyone is high.”

We weren’t the audience the guy was looking for. I think he was going for a laugh.

“This job sucks,” he said.

I wasn’t going to engage at all. Guy was just a tool.

“Then do something else,” the elderly woman said.

The guy looked as if he’d been slapped.

“I mean it,” she said. “Do something else. Stop treating people like garbage.”

Now, I laughed.

The agent walked away in a huff.

“Idiot,” the old woman said.

I laughed some more.

That was worth giving up my window seat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie