9/11 Movie

There’s a movie out with Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg about 5 people caught in the North Tower when the planes hit on 9/11.

It’s pretty good, despite the pain that recalling that horrific day brings.

A bunch of thoughts:

1). Charlie Sheen is a train wreck but he is certainly a good actor.

(Get that out of the way first).

2). There was footage of George W. Bush speaking for the country. I wasn’t a fan of his policies. Yet, as I watched I simply couldn’t fathom what might happen right now. What would the response of this government be?

It’s a question I don’t ever want answered.

3). The main characters are trapped in an elevator. “Do you think it really happened?” Kathy asked.

There are had to be hundreds of absolutely ridiculously horrific scenarios playing out all over the country. As we watched I considered every single moment of my experience all those miles away.

“Never Forget” indeed.

I felt the same empty, hollow feeling.

4). The movie did a good job of placing a janitor in the same elevator as a billionaire. Despite their obvious class differences, and while they never came right out and said it:

They felt the same.

Fear. Despair. Love.

No difference between the two very different men.

5). The movie is dedicated to the first responders.

Running up the stairs when everyone is running down. Going in when they are supposed to head out.

Amazing.

We all think that we want to help. Many of us would panic. That fear would stop us.

It would stop most of us.

Hundreds of those who died that day, ignored that fear.

6). Compassion

I spent a lot of the movie considering how the world has changed.

We felt unified.

Americans were united in an effort to be American.

What the hell happened?

Seems to me that half of America hates the other half now...

...we’ve lost our compassion.

“We can’t let the terrorists win,” was something you heard a lot back then.

We certainly pretended that we made it through.

Did we?

If we have lost our compassion.

If we’ve forgotten our American-ness.

We lost.

“That was uplifting,” I said

“Sad.”

Yeah.

Real sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie