Wish I Didn't Know Now...

...What I didn't know then.

On 9/11/01 I was absolutely oblivious.

There were three young kids running around here. Sam was only 14 months old.

I was on the periphery of anything to do with political discourse.

When someone yelled "Bin Laden!" I didn't actually know who that was...I'd heard his name, but didn't have any idea that he could pull something like that off.

I think a lot of Americans were oblivious to life's goings-on then. For one thing, it wasn't quite as instantaneous then as it is now.

It wasn't the dark ages, but Twitter and Facebook and news media having to write stories in the minute...

...nah, wasn't that way.

I remember the instant when I found out. I was listening to Howard interview Pam Anderson.

It was a day as bright and sunny as Monday was here in Buffalo.

I felt rage.

I felt sadness.

I felt sick to my stomach to what was happening to America.

And the world changed that day...

...not only for the families who suffered horrific loss.

We all felt their loss.

And unfortunately, the mission was a success for the terrorists.

It divided us.

I want to think the best is yet to come, and maybe I just missed it all before 9/11/01, but there's a distinct divide separating the thoughts of the right front those being thought by the left.

Can't really have a productive conversation anymore.

I was only 36 years old that day.

Still felt like a kid.

Still thought like a kid.

That day made it all seem so much more desperate and serious. I started paying more attention to the political landscape.

That's not necessarily a great thing.

I've joined in on some of the debates.

Felt profound sadness.

"I missed it," Sam said. "I was only one!"

Good for him.

Wished we all had missed it.

Still too sad...

...to fully comprehend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie