Hef

We've all heard all the stories about the Playboy Mansion.

Hugh Hefner was a legendary eccentric wasn't he?

The silk bathrobe, the three or four women all 30,40, 50 or 60 years his junior.

The hundred million he got for the sale of the empire.

91 years.

I got the notice on my phone, and moments later the news announcer was talking about the "shocking sadness in the death of an icon."

Not sure how shocked any of us should be when a 91-year-old punches out.

And I thought about the sadness part of it...

...and what kind of made me think a little was that there were a lot of men, and women who were introduced to the form of a woman by looking at Playboy.

We all got our hands on a copy as adolescents.

There weren't any in my Dad's library...that's for sure. In fact, despite the jokes, the cursing, the crassness...

...my brothers and me were taught respect for women at home...

...but I certainly got my hands on a few copies!

I kind of recall the first birds and bees talk in my life. A buddy kind of broke some of the news to me in 8th grade.

(I can still see him laughing at my odd questions).

Then he showed me some of the photos.

Wasn't much like I expected.

Put it all away for a long while!

That's what I thought about...

...the millions of kids who caught their first glimpse in such a manner.

Whether or not Hef should be lauded, admired or vilified (I'm sure that there are plenty out there who believe he's Satan) isn't up for me to decide.

He had an idea.

Bought some photos of Marilyn Monroe, took a loan, wrote some articles...

...and off to the races!

Recently, Playboy got rid of the nudes...

...didn't sell any magazines...

...and went back to it.

Hef probably enjoyed that.

His life was unique for sure.

Rest In Peace.

Thanks for the mammaries.

(Had to be said).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie