Nobody's Home

Woke up early on Saturday, of course, but made a conscious decision to stay in bed. The 9 state trip of the week that just passed had me feeling a little tired. I put on the news and made a decision to not pick up the phone.

I could've stayed there for awhile too, as Kathy was at work and Sam was still sleeping, and would be for awhile.

I did well with staying away from the phone, and by 1:00 was in a spot to watch Yankees-Red Sox.

Finally, Sam made an appearance.

"I'm going to a concert, and you're driving me," he said.

I thought about dinner.

For years and years, dinner was an event...

...making sure the kids had a well-balanced meal.

Instead of it being a big deal...

...I made three hamburgers and cut up a few tomatoes.

Me and Kathy are in relative silence and cleanup took all of five minutes.

"It's weird that nobody's home," I mentioned.

We didn't have to fight for the television.

We actually took twenty minutes choosing a movie.

Weird.

And I do imagine that it's a sneak peek into what life might be like, a lot of the time, as soon as a year from now, if Sam goes off to college.

Yet old habits die hard.

I got the sauce ready for Sunday.

Jake and Sam will most certainly be here tomorrow.

There's grocery shopping to do, and a bit of cleaning up to get done, but soon enough...

...it seems as if nobody will be home when I come through the door.

Empty nest?

Hardly seems fair, I suppose.

Rest will come easier, right

I was fighting sleep by the time the movie hit the mid-point...

...and nobody was around to drive me nuts.

Even for a day...

...I missed 'em.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie