Oh God, Let It Rain!!!

The phone buzzes, rings, beeps, vibrates and chimes.

"Hey, can you swing by?"

It feels a little weird to be bitching about 80-90 degree weather at the end of September particularly because I hate the cold and every warm day is one less cold day...

...and especially since people all over the world have been truly suffering from some simply tragic weather-related events...

BUT I NEED RAIN!!!

I can't get to enough jobs.

I can't ever feel like I'm done.

Beep, chime, ring, vibrate.

"Hey, I need you to get here now!"

And the people who drive me the most crazy?

"How's it going?" They ask.

"Busy!"

"That's good, right?"

"No! I want it to rain!!"

Construction work slows in the rain. Roofers call it a day. Masons show up and then leave. Framers shut it down.

And then I can visit just a few sites.

There is no huge urgency to be in four places at once.

Of course, if it rains two days in a row I'll bitch about the missing sun, right?

That's the way it goes!

Yet, I left one job on Tuesday and there was an owner driving in as I was pulling out. We both lowered our windows and since I'd just come down off the hot roof I was sweating like Patrick Ewing in Game 7 back in 1994.

The owner burst out laughing.

"Need a water?" He asked.

"It's not funny!" I said. "It's hot!"

"Yeah, quite a stretch," he said. "Guys have been working long hours."

At once we both said it:

"We need rain!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie