He Did it Right!

My Uncle Len passed away this morning.

He was 87 years old, and that number doesn't tell much of the story...he packed about a thousand years of life into those days because his legacy will thrive in the hearts of a beautiful family for a long, long time.

My Dad and his siblings were close. Dad and Aunt Carolyn were real buddies to be sure, and although the Switalas moved down to Baltimore, we saw a lot of them as we grew.

There was real excitement when they came to town!

"You're a real pain in the ass, Leonard."

I can hear my Dad saying that.

And they would laugh.

The Yankees-Orioles discussions were legendary and even years and years later, if I was with Dad and the Yankees were pummeling Baltimore, Dad would get a little giddy.

"Let's call your Uncle!"

And the card games.

It's funny what you remember from your childhood. I can certainly recall Mom or Dad being tired and as a kid, I'd be wondering why.

"We played cards last night. We laughed until it hurt."

And Uncle Len was good to all of us too. He offered guidance on all subjects, all the time!

I distinctly recall conversations about golf, pealing potatoes and eggs. When I suddenly released a book (Waldorf & Juli), got married and had a child all in the same year he said:

"I'm happy you finally got going!"

And I put Uncle Len in Waldorf & Juli as a fictional uncle who offers directions to the lost couple.

Uncle Len gave the best driving directions! Not a single detail left out!!

I can remember him telling me that he laughed at that. He laughed a lot! I defy you to find a photo from the last ten years where he wasn't smiling!

Back in 1991, I was working in Baltimore.

It was tough to be away from my immediate family, but the Switala family welcomed me in. On Easter of that year I stopped by for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I watched Aunt Carolyn, in amazement, as she hammered away in the kitchen. I sat with Uncle Len all day, talking sports, politics and life...

...and then we all ate together.

Had to be 30 of us!

The food seemed to be multiplying!

I still dream about the zucchini dish Aunt Carolyn made...

...and we laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed.

I remember having to stand up and yell "Stop!" Because they had me laughing so hard.

And that laughter is a direct result of love.

Only love can teach you pure joy.

That's the legacy that Uncle Len and Aunt Carolyn built.

A thousand year life.

RIP.

Well-done.

We'll miss your physical presence...

...won't ever forget the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie