Troubled

The Alabama rally on Friday night was troubling to me.

I get the arguments against kneeling during the National Anthem.

People don't like it!

I don't necessarily like it.

But I certainly will stand up for those who want to take that stand, and it's a pretty straightforward argument.

We're free!!

That's what that symbol stands for. Free to protest the president. Free to shout at the moon. Free to stand, kneel, crawl or do one-handed push-ups to yell about a healthcare bill we might not like.

Here's the thing...

...being told how to act, being forced to act that way is worse.

Much worse!

The North Koreans march in perfect step when their anthem is played...

...for fear of being shot!

Is that what we aspire to?

And as Americans, the people who want to shout down a player for kneeling are free to do that too!

Straightforward!

What's troubling????

Leaders lead.

Leaders don't fan the flames of chaos.

I know some really good leaders.

I watch them do their thing.

They bring calm, stability and peace in a storm of debate.

I'm too intense of a guy to lead too many people. I set impossibly high standards for myself in certain things, and I look at those I'm supposed to lead and think:

Get moving!!

I say it too...and that sparks dissonance.

Leaders don't do that...

...until now.

I listened to the speech where the man who is supposed to be for all people...

...called for "son of a bitches to be fired."

Troubling.

As it tunes out, and invalidates, anything that those who feel that way might want to, as Americans, voice.

It's just not right.

And that's how I feel.

And I have a right to say it.

If I were president of ALL people...

...I'd try to be more inclusive and I'd spend some time trying to listen a little before leading.

Like good leaders do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie