Just Get Yours

Read a study on Saturday that said that we, as Americans, are 40% less compassionate now than we were back in the 1980's.

The 1980's weren't all that long ago.

Yet, you feel it for sure.

There's a nastiness that hangs in the air.

Jay Thomas (RIP) was fond of saying that we always had lazy people to deal with.

"10% of the population has always been useless," Jay said. "Back when they were building the pyramids there were lazy bastards sitting on the sidelines saying 'This is stupid.'"

Jay went on to say:

"We used to take care of those people."

Perhaps there are more who fall into the "useless" category, but I suspect not. I believe there are more who've slipped into the troubled area, but they're still trying.

It's not laziness that is hampering them, but a changing of the rules. The American Dream isn't quite so easily achieved for some. Financial difficulties, healthcare questions, educational opportunities...

...there are a lot of reasons for a person's slide.

There should be no reason for a lack of compassion.

During the hurricanes there was a lot of humanity on display. People helping people. I was buoyed by some of what I saw...

...and then the DACA discussion took center stage.

800,000 people displaced?

I decided to read the comments section...

...shouldn't have done it.

"Send them back! Their parents broke the law!"

Back to where?

A child who has only known America at home is going to be sent back to the country his parents fled from?

I don't pretend to know the immigration answers...

...but it bugs me a whole lot when people are dismissed as disposable.

"Every creation has a purpose."

I started my book, Desperation, with that line.

I honestly try to put myself in someone else's shoes before I dimiss them or accept them.

Disregarding 800,000 people at a time seems short-sighted to me, but what do I know?

I haven't yet lost my sense of compassion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie