They Got Me Again

Sam & my nephew Johnny are doing a pretty good Cliff-Jeff impression.

"I'm always trying to talk him out of doing stupid stuff," Sam said.

Yeah. I know the feeling.

Once again, when it all comes down, I'm the one who gets burned.

Johnny and I often play billiards on the phone. He takes a shot, sends it to me, and we play a few games in a row.

I hadn't heard from him in awhile.

Until Friday night.

I was in the airport, waiting for the captain to show up so we could leave. I received a text with the billiard table and a message.

"Remember when you said you'd get me a plane ticket for my birthday?"

"Sure," I answered. "When you thinking of coming up?"

I missed my shot and sent the table back.

"Tomorrow," he said in the return text. He had made 3 shots.

I made one, missed my second shot.

"Plane tickets don't actually work like that," I said. "It's pretty expensive to try and buy a ticket the night before."

He made 3 more.

"You'll be all right," he answered.

I made the trip home and Kathy greeted me.

"They're still scheming. We aren't paying that for him to get here."

Johnny was now on the Face-Time making his case.

"Don't you want to see my beautiful face?"  He asked.

"Not for a grand!" Kathy said.

The conversation continued until mid-afternoon on Saturday.

Johnny arrives early Monday morning.

"That's a pretty nice birthday present," he said. "Of course it'll be worth every penny."

Of course.

Now to fill the freezer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty