Scooter & White

On Monday night I was watching the Yankees-White Sox game...

...which is not all that unusual.

I was texting back and forth with Pops and I became involved in a conversation with a couple of Yankees fans on Twitter.

It started innocently enough as we critiqued Al Leiter as the color man with Michael Kay on the YES broadcast.

Soon enough we were chatting about our favorite announcers (Kay, Stone and Sterling in small doses) and we all agreed on who we hate doing baseball (Joe Buck).

Then Rob (a guy I just met on Twitter) mentioned that Scooter and White were the best.

Instantly I was taken back in time to the late 70's and early 80's.

HOLY COW!

I thought of the summer days with my brothers, sisters and Mom and Dad. (And hundreds of friends). We used to watch the games in the garage. The screen door on. Eating cukes and tomatoes.

And laughing at Phil Rizzuto (Scooter) who would entertain us with stories of his wife, Cora.

He'd eat cannoli. He'd talk about leaving early. He'd tell stories right over the action and then he'd say:

"Holy Cow! I missed a homer, White!"

But when Rob mentioned that team I thought about the time that Scooter opened the broadcast by saying:

"Welcome to Yankees baseball, I'm Bill White."

As Bill White burst out laughing beside him.

I was probably about 12 years old when that happened, and I hadn't thought of it in the 40 years since!

And the miracle of miracles???

About 5 seconds after I mentioned it, Rob posted the clip.

And I laughed out loud again.

Scooter was the best.

Those were the days!

(Thanks for the laughs, guys).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie