June the 2!

There will be pork chops...

...Uncle Jim!

Plenty of pork chops!!

And I know the calls are coming.

From all the members of my family and I'm including Pops...

...who will check in first, I imagine.

And although I don't drink at all anymore...

...I will also raise a Miller Light today for Uncle Jim.

You know, it's funny, but life is certainly all about minutes to memories and I have to tell the story of Uncle Jim eating with us on one quiet summer Saturday afternoon on June the 2.

Jeff had lost the annual football bet.

"I'm not buying dinner out," he told me. "I'm cooking it instead."

I didn't have any problem with that.

He was the best chef in town anyway.

"Millie is stopping by too and I called Uncle Jim."

I didn't have a problem with that either. Chris Miller is one of my long-time friends and any time that Uncle Jim was there the party was better.

Jeff served a beef tenderloin that was stuffed with crab meat.

We all received our own roast.

There was pasta, and steamed veggies and there was also a large cucumber and tomato salad.

But there was a slight problem...

...Uncle Jim was late, so we waited.

"Where is he?" I asked. "I'm starving!"

Yet just as I said it the screen door slammed and Uncle Jim entered.

"Sorry," he said. "Aunt Sherrie ordered a pizza for dinner."

"You picked it up for her?" I asked.

"And ate two pieces," he said.

We all laughed.

We laughed even harder too as we watched Uncle Jim eat.

I swear to God, I recall that afternoon as the afternoon when I consumed the most food ever at a single sitting.

(And that's saying a lot).

I was stuffed to the gills.

"Who's finishing the cukes," Uncle Jim said.

"Not me," I answered.

"Me either," Said Chris.

And Uncle Jim then uttered the famous phrase.

A June the 2 phrase for the ages.

"Candy asses," he said, as he scooped up all that remained in the bowl.

Happy June the 2!

And to those no longer here...

..they're here...

...they're here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie