My Favorite Author?

For years and years people have asked me who my favorite author is.

I have always answered:

"John Steinbeck."

When I first read East of Eden I was convinced that no one told a story better. The language just felt different when he was placing one word after another. I recall reading a paragraph a couple of times, knowing that there wasn't a single wasted word and that he was painting a perfect picture for me.

I read East of Eden again at least every other year even though I have committed most of the story to memory.

Steinbeck has mostly gems in his resume anyway.. so the answer was always easy.

"Steinbeck."

But something weird happened the other night.

I was reading a book on my phone.

(Aside here...I always have two books going - one on my phone and one that is a physical book - I read both, often the same night, but sometimes it's more convenient to hold one or the other...so two at a time!).

The book was a group of short stories - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams - by Stephen King.

And it hit me.

Stephen King may very well be my favorite author.

That hurts a little because he is a well-known Red Sux fan.

It's also a little weird because when people think Stephen King they think of the scary books.

He certainly does write horror better than anyone, but he writes a lot of stuff better than anyone.

I thought about The Stand (which is one of the three best books I've ever read).

I considered Misery which is the only book I picked up, read completely, and then put down.

One sitting!

I looked around my room.

Bag of Bones, Duma Key, Four Past Midnight, Everything's Eventual, 11/22/63

I've read every single thing that he's put out and only cringed a little at the Dark Tower stuff and cringed a whole lot at Tommyknockers (which really sucked)...

...but Stephen King.

He might just be my favorite author.

Can I answer that way if the question is posed to me?

Probably not.

I'll most likely still say Steinbeck.

(Can't quite get around that Red Sux stuff).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie