Vote! Vote! Vote!

I’m looking forward to the day after the election so I don’t have to see any more ads.

I’m 58-years old.

I am well beyond ever believing that anyone is truly going to do anything to help the middle class like they promise to.

Ain’t gonna’ happen.

We always seem to get the stories about immigrants and crime and the other guy stealing our rights.

Scare tactics.

I read something the other day that showed that both voters for each party believe that if the election does awry for them…

…the country will no longer be viable.

That’s a huge problem when both parties believe that the other is evil personified.

Yet, we should all be making the effort to vote one way or another.

I asked my boys about whether or not they planned to vote.

“Ain’t nobody doing nothing for me,” Sam said, with zero enthusiasm.

We spoke to him about some of the things that have happened over the last 8 years and some of the rights and laws that are on the table.

“They’re going to listen to me about it?” He asked. 

“They’re going to listen to all of us collectively,” I said. “Read up on it and make up your mind. You’re an American and that means your vote counts.”

He laughed.

“Doesn’t the side that loses just cry that the other side cheated?”

“Not usually,” I said.

And that’s the danger of what happened in the last presidential election.

Claiming that it was ‘rigged’ without evidence is a dangerous, dangerous thing…

…yet the mid-term elections are upon us.

And we have to believe that our vote matters.

“I’ll vote,” Sam finally announced, “But they ain’t helping me. That for sure.”

I couldn’t argue that.

I’ve been through enough of the election promises that simply don’t pan out.

Yet I still believe that the Democracy can survive.

‘Course, I been wrong before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie