Don’t Worry, Darling

We watched a crazy movie - on Jake’s recommendation and while it was a little bizarre, it held my interest. 

One of the takeaways was how the women were forced to behave under the direction of a male-dominant leader.

Think 1950’s women stay at home and serve the man deal.

I turned to Kathy as the woman served dinner and then did the dishes.

“Women can do that?” I asked.

“It’s just a movie,” she said. “It’s all make-believe.”

I laughed.

The thing is, we are just a generation ago from it being like that.

My grandma made sure that she baked fresh bread every day. She served my grandpa his food, but she was not one to stay silent or speak when spoken to…

…she was full-blooded Italian after all.

Yet, I can’t even imagine how that all went down.

He comes home from work to a freshly cleaned home and dinner on the table, and then rubs his feet because he worked all day.

Yeah.

Make believe.

And there are people out there still living or expecting to live that life.

I see a bit of it when I travel to the Midwest. 

“Simpler life” is how it is always described.

Seems like a huge step backwards to me…

…especially for women who want to live an actual life in 2022.

And I think that’s what the movie was ultimately about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie