Bedrock of the Democracy

When I used to play video games I was fine if I was winning the game.

If my opponent scored, or I were losing I would very often come up with an excuse or ten.

“My controller is broken!”

“You’re cheating!”

“You’re talking too much!”

That’s kind of what the week has felt like to me…

…people who lost their political races are making all sorts of excuses and making a whole bunch of baseless accusations.

That’s a sad deal because free and fair elections are the bedrock of our Democracy and spitting all over that…

…is despicable.

On Saturday morning, we stumbled upon an interview between Letterman and Obama.

It was an amazing hour, especially given the political anarchy that we’ve experienced.

To hear a President discuss one subject after another brilliantly and with empathy and kindness was certainly a breath of fresh air.

It brought me back to a time before all the anger and rage.

When all of America believed in the Democratic principles that we have always stood for.

You know what was amazing about this week?

My boys texted me on Tuesday morning.

Matt started it but it was a thread that included me, Jake & Sam.

“Get out and vote!” Matt said.

Jake wrote:

“I already did.”

I was pretty happy about that exchange and while there wasn’t any persuading going on…

…I had a pretty good idea as to what the boys were thinking, and why they were excited about participating in this particular election.

Yet, none of it will matter much if we don’t somehow figure out the way to put the grace back into our political system.

Eventually I figured out that I was losing the video games because I wasn’t quite as good as my opponent.

But I did get the bad controller sometimes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie