A Sad Thanksgiving

I filled my plate as I normally do - turkey (dark meat), mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans and corn. I added some gravy.

The standard first dish.

I usually head back up for extras of a few other things I haven’t tried and maybe a little more stuffing.

Not this year!

Jim knocked it out of the park again this year - everything was great and he cooked enough for 40 people.

There were 10 of us there.

I barely finished that first plate.

Didn’t even consider dessert.

There was also a point where my Mom looked at me and Jim standing side-by-side and said:

“What the hell happened? You two are skinny.”

After we ate there was the cleanup and Jim put some plates for us to take home.

“We won’t eat all that,” I said.

“You have the kids. They’ll finish it off.”

“They aren’t there anymore!” I said. “Most nights it’s just the two of us, and Kathy would eat a bowl of cereal for dinner if I let her.”

And Jim was feeling a bit nostalgic.

“It’s sad,” he said. “Remember all the food we’d eat on Thanksgiving at the big house on the hill? Now. Just a little sad.”

But of course, not being able to eat to pain isn’t the gauge by what we will be remembered for.

We shared some laughs, talking of those who are no longer with us.

The Bills played like turkeys but were gifted a win.

So, all in all, it worked out.

The more things change…

…Kathy left early this morning to go Black Friday shopping.

She hasn’t done that in years.

Some of my money went with her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie