I Did It!

The sun came up on Sunday morning, and I listened to the wind hammer the side of my house…

…and I remembered.

Buried.

We caught a break yesterday in that we dropped a hundred to get someone to remove the snow from behind our vehicles, but we still had huge problems.

“My goal of the day is to get the cars out tomorrow,” I said.

“Won’t be easy,” my ever-supportive wife mentioned, and there was a certain amount of dread as I opened my eyes on Sunday morning.

Had time passed me by?

Eight years ago we were in a similar situation (we got more snow this time) and I had cleared that snow.

But 8 years ago I was only 50.

That was prior to hip and a couple of knee surgeries and chronic back trouble.

Yet.

What choice did I have? We have 3 strong sons. Only 1 lives here.

He’s been down and out with the flu.

“All on me,” I thought.

I headed out for a long episode of snow removal. I was dressed properly. The sun was out.

40 minutes later I was back in the house.

We watched an episode of Tulsa King and I used the heating pad.

I was borderline despondent.

“No chance,” I kept thinking. “We’re trapped here forever.”

I didn’t say it out loud.

After the show, I dressed again.

“Back at it,” I said.

“I feel bad for you,” Kathy mentioned.

I worked at moving huge piles of snow. I cleared the snow off the cars and around the tires and then I tried moving the jeep.

Gunned it.

I backed straight out!

Then I got cocky.

In a frenzy I cleaned my car. Started it. Gunned it.

And cheered loudly when I hit the plowed road.

We had two free vehicles!

I headed into the house.

“We’re out!” I announced.

“Wow,” Kathy said. “I didn’t think you had a chance at doing that.”

Isn’t that refreshing!

“I’m a beast!” I said. “Even at 58!”

Back to the heating pad!

Reaffirmed that it’s not over yet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie