Wedding for the Ages

Beautiful

It’s the word that entered my mind at least 100 times as I attended the wedding of my Goddaughter Hannah and the very lovely, Mike.

First off, getting dressed for the night out was odd.

“Been awhile since I had these clothes out.”

Everything fit nicely because I’ve actually lost weight since the start of Covid.

The hall was set up beautifully.

The ceremony was beautiful. 

The bride was beyond beautiful and I felt a twinge of pure amazement because I remembered the baptismal ceremony all those years ago.

Hannah is the youngest child of my dear, dear friends, Kathy and Jeff.

I spoke a long while with Jeff’s Mom.

I gazed a long while at Jeff & Kathy’s beautiful grandchildren.

I stood and spoke for a moment before giving the blessing, and while I was up there with the microphone in my hand I thought about the quick toast I had done at Jeff & Kathy’s wedding some 35 years before.

What a wonderful life of beautiful love they’ve all built.

An amazing family.

But there was a surprise that brought tears to my eyes.

Jeff and Hannah danced the father-daughter dance to a Springsteen song.

I sat at the edge of the dance floor as Bruce sang and Dad and Daughter danced and I kept thinking:

“Beautiful.”

Hannah stopped by.

“Bruce?” I asked as I gave her a kiss.

“I chose it two years ago.”

“It was absolutely perfect.”

As I stood beside Jeff - who made a tone-perfect, wonderfully beautiful speech to toast the couple - I kept throwing glances at the dance floor where the children of my life-long great friends - really tore it up.

I envied their youth.

I smiled at the goofiness and I said simple words to my buddy.

“We did good.”

It seemed like mere minutes ago that we were the ones who were the life of the party.

Time, love and happiness filled our days…

…nothing is ever easy for anyone all the time…

…but sometimes…

…it’s all so damn beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie