The Honor System

We learned about the honor system when we were young…

…around Halloween, right?

A neighbor would leave a bowl out that would ask kids to take one.

The bowl was always empty.

I wonder about the farm stands where the vegetables sit out with a locked cash box sitting empty.

I heard about the honor system yesterday in regard to mask-wearing or not when talking vaccines.

I’m skeptical.

Those who never wanted to wear a mask are the ones who won’t get vaccinated. 

They aren’t going to don a mask now!

And it’s weird.

Mask mandates are being lifted. Only 40% of the country is fully vaccinated. I think we’re around 50% here in New York State.

But enough about Covid.

I’m talking the honor system.

I’m skeptical.

Played in a golf tourney years ago. The prize for closest to the pin was a new set of clubs. 

Good ones!

I put my ball less than 6’ from the hole, and I was in the second to last group.

I watched the first two guys in the last group tee off and miss the green.

Felt really great about it as one of the last two guys had to get closer than mine to take my new clubs away.

Guys in my foursome were congratulating me…

…until the winner was announced.

Wasn’t me!

Guy walked up and accepted the prize. I didn’t even have the heart to ask him how close he got.

His cart mate came over to me.

“He stole your clubs,” the guy said.

“What?”

“He didn’t even put it on the green. Just signed his name on the card.”

“Who would do that?” I asked.

“Him. And about twenty million other guys. He got brand new clubs. He won’t think twice about it.”

Honor system?

Yeah.

I’m skeptical.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie