Memorial Day

It’s the parade that I always think about on Memorial Day. 

I’m from a small town and I knew my friend’s parents. 

Most of them were friends with my Dad and Mom so we saw them all in social situations where they were all having fun and laughing.

I recall the laughter and the beers.

But on Memorial Day, a lot of those Dads weren’t laughing.

They had serious looks on their faces as they marched in full uniform and saluted the townspeople.

They were just regular guys…

…but they’d fought in wars.

That’s a lot for a kid to comprehend.

Also, as a kid there was a whole lot of talk about Viet Nam being an unnecessary war.

We heard the stories about men and women coming back and being treated poorly by people who didn’t go and didn’t believe in the conflict.

The soldiers didn’t deserve the scorn.

As an adult, I’ve been to Westpoint a few times. 

I’ve known plenty of veterans.

I certainly respect the dedication but have also been saddened by the treatment that returning vets have received.

And I have wondered why they’ve been placed in harm’s way so many damn times.

But for the rest of my days, I will see the looks on the faces of those men as they marched through our town.

Proud.

Their heads held high.

Saluting all of us, knowing the price that was paid for freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie