Sunday Dinner

The show Blue Bloods has a family dinner scene during each episode.

It’s where the problems of the week are discussed over a roast or Chinese or Ham or Turkey.

There is one big difference right there.

We had pasta each week, of course. We still do around here.

But there are plenty of other differences as well. Every now and again at the Blue Bloods table someone will raise their voice and Grandpa (who is insufferable) will lecture them to ‘keep it civil!’

Grandpa would’ve had a heart attack at the Fazzolari table.

Corinne impaled John with a fork.

John, who sat beside me, stuffed my face into my plate (for fun).

At a Saturday meal we all watched Dad eat a dozen ear of Bowman’s corn. 🌽 

If there was wine flowing, civil was an impossibility.

On Blue Bloods everyone seems to have an assigned seat.

It was the same way at our house.

I sat at my mother’s right hand because it was as far away as I could get from my Dad!

He and I would engage in lively debates on every subject.

I smile when I think of him trying to coax me into eating a few peas. 

I refused to do it…

…I lost that argument.

Finally held my nose and shoveled in a cup full.

“How were they?” Dad asked.

“Outstanding!” I yelled back.

Got me a full dish!

The Blue Bloods depiction is a decent one as they do argue a bit, they make fun of each other a little, and there are some laughs.

But, it kind of pales in comparison.

I always think back to the food fight.

I think Mom started it, actually, by throwing a handful of mashed potatoes at John.

Then it was on.

It culminated in a foot chase down the cellar stairs.

Somehow John ended up on his ass.

And the language?

The Fazzolari dinner table could not be played on regular network television.

Would have to have played on HBO.

And there were six crazy kids, and Mom certainly was never shy, but Dad was the star of each episode.

If someone would’ve said, “Let’s keep it civil!”

He or she would’ve been laughed out of the place.

Oh, two other differences:

1). There’s always a ton of food leftover at the Blue Bloods table. We didn’t get up until it was all gone.

2). Our food was way freaking better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie