What’s the Over/Under?

So, the sports betting is legal everywhere now, right?

Sam and a couple of his buddies were dabbling in some small bets online somewhere.

“I took the Lakers with the points,” Sam announced. “I have to win a few bets, get it up to $30 in winnings so I can cash in.”

So, he wasn’t exactly putting up the house in the wager, but still, I warned him.

“You aren’t in control,” I said. “Betting on something you can’t control is dumb.”

“It’s a sure thing,” he said.

He lost.

And I told him about a couple of bets I made back in the day:

NCAA - Houston and the Phi Slamma Jamma team with Drexel and Akeem.

They lost.

Georgetown when they had Ewing...

...no way they lose!

I put up money I couldn’t afford to lose.

Lost!

When the Bears were playing the Patriots in the Super Bowl in ‘85 I drank a little much the night before. Gave a kid from Boston 40 points!

When the game started I was losing 40-0!

Okay, so I won that one.

But betting the outcome of a game is never a sure thing.

And even when you win...

...there’s a tendency to go for an even bigger score.

One of Sam’s buddies got on a bit of a streak...

...won 3 or 4 straight...

...had $150 in the online bank.

He let it ride.

One big score!

He’s broke.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie