Celebrity Deaths

My day started at 5:45 yesterday with a text message from a buddy:

“Not sure if you heard, but something might be going on with Kobe Bryant.”

We chatted via text about the shame of it all and then I mentioned:

“Gotta’ go the music route today.”

And I mention that because when a celebrity dies (especially in such a horrific, tragic manner) the coverage is way over the top...

...and the trolls come out.

I saw a couple of nasty “jokes”.

Some made reference to Kobe’s long ago criminal problem.

Others were enraged by the fact that Kobe and his daughter received more news coverage than the other 7 people who lost their lives.

(That’s how celebrity works).

Yet, I kept thinking about the last few moments of their lives.

Were they aware that they were going down?

Did Kobe have a moment with his daughter...

...knowing that he couldn’t save her?

The coach died with his wife and daughter beside him.

The pilot had to be a mess.

Did they know?

And I’m a safety guy...

...was their trip safe?

I saw a guy standing on a bucket later in the day...

...”what happens if you fall and smash your head?” I asked him.

“Sorry,” he said.

And that’s the deal...

...life is fragile.

One mistake and it’s over.

Yet yesterday wasn’t the day for any of that. Kobe got a huge send-off by people who enjoyed how he played basketball.

Fair enough.

But I argue that a celebrity death hits so hard because it reminds us of our own mortality.

It’s temporary here...

...enjoy yourself.

Don’t tempt death with bad decisions because it will comply.

No matter who you are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie