Routines

Melky and me are usually up and out of bed by 6:30 or so.

On Friday night I mentioned to Kathy that I planned on sleeping in.

“What’s sleeping in?” She asked.

“At least 7:00. I might even lay there until 8:00.”

“Never happen,” she said. “You’re too routine.”

But it happened!

I didn’t open my eyes until 7:08 and I grabbed the phone and started reading. Wasn’t gonna’ move until 8:00. I forgot to tell Melky about the plan. She cried.

“Ah man.”

Let me tell you, this dog is amazing. She’ll be 14 years old in about a month. She jumped from the bed and together we made the trip to the back door. She handled the 24 steps and I opened the door just in time.

This is when it got really weird.

We went back to bed. I stayed in until 8:00.

The routine was screwed up in Melky’s mind. Usually, after she goes out, she goes for a ride. This time, they (Paris joined her) were forced to sit with me as I drank coffee.

Melky cried the entire time.

So much so that I had to cut coffee time short, take them to the store to pick up the paper.

“How’d the sleeping go?” Kathy asked.

“Melky was a mess.”

“You created that.”

And I suppose I did.

After the car ride Melky had her bones, took a long nap, but stirred right at dinner time, and was crying about going back to bed at 9 pm, which is the usual going up time on weekdays.

“It’s Saturday!” I tried. “We get to stay up.”

She just kept crying.

“Your girlfriend has had enough.”

So, that was that.

I’m taking a week off to try and rest up.

Probably won’t be sleeping in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie