Bills Heartache

My boys were hurting on Saturday evening and on Sunday and on Monday and probably today.

The Bills lost.

Blew a 16-0 lead and had a couple of calls go against them.

I watched the game with the boys and one of their buddies after making a huge assortment of food.

Before the game began, I ate. A little too much, actually...

...I was kind of drooping a little when Josh Allen caught a pass for a TD on the first drive.

The cheer that went up woke me up.

By halftime I was wondering whether the Bills would be playing the Ravens on Saturday or Sunday.

I actually said this:

“They can really give the Ravens a good game.”

Then Houston scored and got a 2-point conversion.

16-8.

Still nothing to worry about...

...but panic set in.

In my living room and on the Bills sideline and then in the huddle.

“What the hell is he doing?” I asked as Josh Allen, the young, athletic QB produced 3 straight horrendous plays

“It’s okay,” the boys kept saying.

It went to overtime.

“I’m literally shaking,” Jake said.

Back in the 1970’s, I remember sitting on the edge of my Dad’s bed, fighting tears because the Sabres lost to be eliminated in the playoffs.

“They’re going to win a cup and the Bills are going to win a Super Bowl someday,” Dad said. “And all the losses will be forgotten.”

44 years later...

...still waiting.

And it doesn’t hurt me much anymore. Nothing I can do to make it happen. Yankees have won a bunch for me and that does help me...

...”this is going to take awhile,” Sam said.

“Imagine losing a Super Bowl because a kick went wide,” I said.

“I’d hang myself in the garage,” Jake answered.

“Well, I’m done watching any football this year,” Sam said.

“You’ll watch,” I answered.

3 hours later he came running out of his room.

“The patriots are losing!” He announced.

“Thought you weren’t watching anymore.”

“No, I’m good. The Bills are going to win it all next year. I’m sure of it.”

Hope so.

For his sake.

Cause I’m still here waiting...

...a long time after my Dad promised me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie