Opening My Closed Mind

So, my boy, Jake and I spend a lot of time talking about writing and artists.

So far Jake hasn’t asked me much about actually doing the writing but he certainly appreciates a good lyric. I have sent him some of the most profound of all my favorite artists.

“That’s why he’s a legend,” he said, after I went over ‘Moonlight Motel’ from the Springsteen record.

So, I decided to open my mind a little.

I actually love Slim Shady when he goes funny. The videos of Eminem’s comical raps are great and that guy can sling a phrase.

But man, rap is hard for me...

...it’s usually played too loud and all I hear is the bass and they go fast!

Jake sent me a quote from Springsteen when someone asked him who he liked.

“Kendrick Lamar is making outstanding art.”

What???

Bruce said that about a rapper?

“You should try it,” Jake said.

“Okay. I have a long drive,” I said. “Send me 5 songs I should download.”

Jake sent the titles along.

I definitely got bored on the drive.

Loaded the songs onto my phone.

Played the first one: “Peer Pressure” was in the title.

I liked it!!!

The rap was understandable when played low. The message was clear. The ‘music’ brought to mind some of the stuff Pink Floyd might add.

I went to a song called “i” and then one called “u”.

Played all 5.

Sent Jake a message:

“I’m not deleting any of them. They’re good.”

We chatted back and forth about specific lines.

Who would’ve thunk?

“Want 5 more?” Jake asked.

“Give me a minute,” I said. “I have Bruce to get back to.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie