McKinley Mall

Whenever I go to the McKinley Mall in Hamburg I remind whoever I am with:

“I built this place.”

It usually gets a laugh because I can’t build a cardboard πŸ“¦ box, but it’s kinda’ true.

I was a union laborer on the job and I was assigned to be a carpenter’s assistant. It’s a long place!

“Get me a hammer,” the carpenter said.

“Where is it?”

“Toolbox at the other end of the mall.”

I made the walk there, grabbed the hammer πŸ”¨ and walked back.

“Go get me a screwdriver,” he said, when I handed over the πŸ”¨ hammer.

“I’m guessing it’s in the toolbox.”

“Yep,” he said, πŸ˜‚ laughing.

Walked all the way back. What did I care?

Except I stepped in concrete on the way. An entire crew of really Italian guys called me an idiot.

Then there was the day they put me on the tamper.

I couldn’t control it.

Dropped it into a huge excavation. I called my laborer partner, Joe.

“Dude, they’re going to kill you!”

Joe and I jumped into the hole πŸ•³ and tried to lift a 500 pound unit out of a hole, by hand.

“You idiots!” Angelo, our boss had caught us.

He made us sweep 🧹 the parking lot.

It’s a huge parking lot.

It was 90 degrees.

Joe was 😑 mad!

I think of all of this because the McKinley Mall is becoming a ghost πŸ‘» town.

Sears announced they’re moving out.

I live around the corner...

...I haven’t stepped inside in about ten years.

Maybe I’ll walk around...

...look at the architecture a little...

...and remember that I built the joint.

What will they do with all these empty buildings?

Makes me a little 😒 sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie