One and One Equals Three

There was a lot of talk in the impeachment hearing about 2 and 2 equaling 4.

And it made me think about Springsteen on Broadway when he talked about 1&1 equaling 2...

...but that the magic happens when 1&1 equals 3.

“That’s where the magic happens.”

“That’s where love shows it’s face.”

Yeah, when it doesn’t make sense.

It’s where the creativity lives.

1&1 = 3.

It’s my preferred place to be.

Where something exceptional happens against the odds.

I was talking about writing with a good friend of mine. He made my night by going over the entire plot of ‘Nobody’s Home’ and he brought me back to the days when I was writing it.

It was a story about a tragedy in my hometown.

I took the main elements of the story and fictionalized it.

1 - the story

+

1 - the act of writing it.

= 3

Sitting at a restaurant talking about the finished product...

...15 years later.

1 - boy meets girl

+

1 - girl meets boy

= 3

A long marriage, kids, grandkids and fighting life together.

It’s a lightning bolt.

You don’t even know you’ve been struck until you realize down the road a ways that a normal, typical situation brings unreal results.

I’ve been struck by that lightning before...

...love when it happens.

Like the day when I plotted an entire book in one afternoon while thinking about Prince’s death.

Bam!

1 and 1 equals 3.

Just like that!

And I feel bad for the people who live their whole lives and don’t realize that they have, at one time or another, felt love, or accomplished something even though the basic rules of math seemed to give them a wild result.

It happens.

Be open to it.

It’s happened to you...

...you just have to recognize it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie