Doolittle

I’ve known about Nationals pitcher Sean Doolittle for a long time.

You see, before he was the closer of the Nationals World Series winning team, he was on the Oakland Athletics.

Inexplicably, two of my three kids like the A’s.

One of my kids, Jake, is very in tune with athletes who do good things with their money and time. Doolittle once purchased 900 tickets for an event and donated the tickets to an LGBTQ organization because he didn’t want there to be empty seats.

Doolittle has been a talented, but outspoken member of every team he’s ever been on. He’s not shy either and just this week we learned that he has an autistic brother-in-law and he decided that he didn’t care to go to the celebration at the White House because he couldn’t “hang with a guy” who speaks as Donald Trump does.

It’s a common theme.

Half of the Red Sux didn’t go last year.

The entire Golden State Warriors decided against attending.

Athletes who have showed up have been handed fast-food.

Doolittle’s announcement brought forth a whole lot more of the division that we are all living through.

“Shut up and pitch!”

“Who wouldn’t want to go?” Others asked.

I gave it some thought.

My chances of ever being on a championship sports team, while not non-existent, is certainly not practical at this time in my life.

So, let’s discuss a different scenario:

If Trump were to ring my doorbell and ask to come in...

...I would say no.

I wouldn’t shake his tiny hand.

I wouldn’t listen to him speak.

I’ve heard enough, and I do not share his sensibilities on a number of subjects.

I’ve never wavered in my thoughts on him.

I believed that he was a conman back in the 1980’s...

...he’s done absolutely nothing to make me change my beliefs, and I honestly believe that all of this should have been over a long, long time ago...

...when he made fun of the disabled reporter.

Doolittle is also, most likely, going to be the recipient of a hate tweet. I’m sure it’ll be a clever play on his surname, and refusing to go has most likely placed a target on Doolittle’s back...

...but I admire his stance.

Millions of Americans would also decide to NOT go, and no matter where you sit on the spectrum of the political landscape, you must agree...

...that it’s truly sad.

Just sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie