“OK, Boomer”

A baby boomer is someone born between the years of 1946-1964.

Lately, ‘boomer’ has been tossed around as a divisive term meant to denigrate that generation of people because they come off as all-knowing and because they’re blocking the next generation from...

...I don’t know what.

And maybe the boomers deserve a bit of aggravation for forever bashing the millennials as being lazy or whatever.

I’m technically a boomer!

I was born in 1964.

Now, here’s the thing:

Every generation believes that the coming generation isn’t going to be worth a 💩 crap!

There’s a musical gap.

There’s a work ethic gap.

There’s a real temptation to say, “Back in my day.”

I seriously am doing my best to not be that way.

I’m waaaaaaayyyyy behind on music. I will go to my grave believing that I lived through the golden age of music.

Man, I’d look forward to Rolling Stone telling me who had new music coming.

Rod Stewart, Bob Seger, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bruce, The Cars, Boston, Rush, AC/DC, Van Halen...

...they’d all make a record every year.

It’s what I’m still listening to!

But, music aside, I’m not goofy enough to paint an entire generation one way.

They aren’t all lazy.

They aren’t all idealistic or in need of constant attention or instant gratification.

Their lives are different and technology has raced ahead. Phones, and social media has changed the world.

Us boomers may have left them hanging too. I worry for my boys.

It costs $8.00 to get a muffin and a coffee at break. A starter job is $11 an hour. College costs $30,000 a year...

...forget saving money to buy a house!

And we’re looking down at them?

We failed them.

“When I was your age, I worked, saved money and went to college.”

I’ve said that...

...and it dawned on me:

It ain’t truly possible now!

Go to college???

Here’s a hundred grand of debt.

Want a home?

Here’s another hundred grand in the hole!

So, if a kid said to me, “OK, Boomer” in a dismissive manner...

...well, it’s deserved.

(Except for the music! I won’t apologize for that!)

I didn’t do anything to deserve their scorn. I’ve worked for every nickel and I still believe hard work is the key to success, but this next generation deserves a fighting chance...

...and they ain’t getting one.

We should fix that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie