You’re Only Cheating Yourself

Rick Reilly has published a book about Donald Trunp and how he cheats at golf.

I imagine that it’ll be pretty funny because Reilly writes humorously most of the time. He’s one of the first columnists that I ever read back when he had the back page of Sports Illustrated.

He’s going to be getting some really nasty tweets because there’s no way that Trunp is going to take this without comment.

How does he lie?

1). He doesn’t count all his strokes.

2). He moves his ball out of trouble.

3). He moves his opponents ball!

4). He drives the cart on the green!

5). He claims to be the tournament winner at his own properties, even if he doesn’t play in the tournament.

As Reilly noted, you can tell a lot about a man by the way he keeps his own golf score.

Years ago, I cared a lot more about my score and I’d get pissy when I didn’t think I deserved a stroke. I was playing on a Saturday morning once and I swung and missed.

“That’s a stroke!” The guy I was playing with yelled.

“I didn’t even hit it!”

I ended up only hitting 4 shots on a par 4.

“Bogey for me, bogey for you,” he said.

“Dude.”

Now technically, I know he was right, but we weren’t in the Masters. We weren’t even playing for lunch!

Once, when we were playing for lunch, I hit a drive on 18 that was straight down the middle. I never found the ball and took the stroke that cost me and my buddy lunch as my brother and brother-in-law gloated.

“I have no idea what happened,” I moaned.

I was nearly home when I received a call from my brother-in-law.

“I have your ball,” he said.

We laughed.

And that’s how we play it. If four of us hook our drives we might do it all again. We count our strokes, but will give one another a putt now and again. If one of us is in the barrel, we’ll cut him some slack.

“I got a snowman.”

“I gave you a 7.”

It’s just a little weird that someone might cheat and then pretend that they aren’t cheating cause this is the thing:

The guys you’re playing with know what kind of golfer you are.

Me and my buddies are in the same ballpark score wise and none of us truly care if we lose on any given day. I recall a game last year where JC couldn’t miss a green. I wanted him to break 90, and it was close.

By 16, I knew that he was going to win the day.

When he shot par on 18 to finish at 88, I was as happy as he was.

I birdied a par 5 last year, Pops eagled it. I talked about his eagle the rest of the year.

How do you not want to see your friends play well?

How do you flat-out cheat?

And driving on the green??

Yeah, tells you a lot about the man you are.

A cheater.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie