Happy Birthday to My Beautiful Wife

My life is one constant game plan.

I wake up and try and visualize how the entire day is going to go down, each task clearly defined.

My beautiful wife is pretty much my polar opposite in that regard.

“What’re you doing today?” I’ll ask.

“I have no plans.”

Then I’ll bring up two or three things she said she needed to do.

“Oh yeah. I have to do that.”

“When?”

“I don’t know.”

And in a long marriage...

...the habits of your partner...

...can be aggravating as hell.

Yet, here we are!

Another birthday!!

Years and years ago, Kathy wanted to go to happy hour on her birthday. We weren’t yet a couple. I had a couple of drinks with her, but then headed back to my apartment because the NCAA Tourney was on and my plan for the day was one game after another and circling the ones I got right with a black pen and the ones I got wrong with a red one.

The doorbell rang.

(I don’t think that doorbell rang 3 times in the 4 years I lived there and out of the ten doorbells in front of her she rang mine...first try).

Kathy was standing there.

“Come on! It’s my birthday. Let’s go out!”

My plan for the day was shot to hell because I went.

She’s been ruining my daily plans ever since.

Yet, a week ago, I had to meet Kathy at work to drop something off.

I was tired. She was tired. She was walking back into work and limping a little on her bad knee.

“Dinner at five,” I said.

“Yeah, yeah,” she answered, and as she walked away, I kind of laughed.

Been a long time...

...making plans...

...changing plans...

“What’s for dinner?”

“What are the kids doing?”

Back and forth.

Day in and day out.

We’ve been to the valley floor and to the top of the mountain.

Life is a battle.

It’s easier when you have someone battling with you...

...even if plans sometimes change.

Pasta today.

A cake.

Another year in the books.

Happy Birthday!

Love you.

Glad you rang the right doorbell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie