Stomping Grounds

The boys were working, believe it or not, so we kind of winged it.

We swung out to North Collins and invited Mom to 3-Star for dinner. On the way we called my sister and my brother.

Took one step into the place and saw about twelve familiar faces...

...people that I’ve known for my entire life.

There’s nothing like seeing people who you haven’t seen for awhile. The same guys, with slightly less hair and slightly bigger tummies.

(Except Rick Dolepy Bastard who somehow, despite being about 70 still has a full head of jet black hair).

We were served by the lovely and talented Mrs. Popple.

My sister, brother and I all ordered the same dinner, the broiled seafood platter.

We ate all of it.

Good conversation, a little gentle ribbing, some reminiscing, and we all decided to throw in on the bill.

I gathered the cash...

...didn’t have any on me, but no big deal...

...I’d slap it on the credit card.

“We don’t take credit cards,” the cashier said.

“Oh, geez. All right. I’ll be right back.”

I walked out the door, with everyone else’s money and went down the street to the ATM.

On the way back, I started laughing.

“What?” Kathy asked.

“I just walked out. I didn’t say anything to anyone. They have to be thinking I stole the money and ran out on the check.”

Sure enough, everyone was at the register.

I was still laughing as I paid the tab.

“I thought maybe you crapped your pants,” the always hilarious Chuck said.

For years, we always tried to stiff one another on the dinner bill...

...Chuck, Jim, John and Jeff were always expert at it.

“I should’ve just left with their money,” I said.

Laughed again.

It’s always fun hanging out in my hometown.

Good times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie