Dopey Bastard

Had a lifelong friend tag me in one of her posts:

“Overheard one of my kids call the other a ‘Dopey Bastard’. Guess I’ve quoted you too often.”

That’s awesome!

I’ve seen that my willingness to refer to almost everyone as a ‘Dopey Bastard’ is starting to pay off.

I’ve had 13 books published, have written a blog every day...

...and I’ll be remembered as the ‘Dopey Bastard’ guy.

I’ve always had a love affair with the word ‘Bastard’.

It’s a cool word, rolls right off the tongue.

I know where the ‘Dopey’ part was added too.

My Dad hit me with that moniker one day, and it’s a great story.

We were living together in Connecticut. Dad was a project manager of the job, and I was working in the office, doing payroll, writing progress reports and beginning my safety career.

We were working long hours, of course.

7 a.m. start and 5 p.m. quit - usually worked 6 days.

Sunday I got to sleep a little later.

Dad, of course, was up every day by 5:00. Sundays too.

One Sunday morning I heard him playing cards at the kitchen table. He would shuffle for a long time!

“Bah,” He said. “I guess I have to take out the garbage now.”

I knew what he wanted:

Me out of bed and playing cards with him.

“Guess it’s my turn. I’m an old man, but I’ll do it while my kid gets his rest.”

I ignored him as long as I could...

...then got out of bed, grabbed the bag and walked down the steps, out the front door, and tossed the bag into the dumpster...

...dressed only in my tighty-whities.

Dad was in the window, laughing his ass off.

“You dopey bastard,” he said, in between guffawing.

I’ve used it ever since.

Dad liked ‘Rat Bastard’ too, but that was usually used in anger, and was followed by some Italian curse words.

Dopey Bastard...

...it’s simply a term of endearment and you’ll know I consider you a friend if that’s how I address you.

And now the kids are picking up on it.

Perfect!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie