Day One

I didn’t watch a ton of college basketball games this year. I would catch one now and again, but I knew who was good because I would quiz Sam on the top 25.

He would name them in order as we all laughed. He lives for the tourney and loves it as much as my brother Jeff did.

On Tuesday night, my buddies came by and we picked names out of a hat. (That was a Jeff creation and I love that we have kept doing it.

Yesterday I had work to do, but as I was getting the dogs their breakfast I glanced at Jeff’s photo.

“Day one,” I said.

I started getting fired up when I knew the games were under way.

I stopped at the grocery store and bought snacks, including what is about a 55-gallon drum of cheese balls.

“Pizza and wings for dinner,” I said to my beautiful wife, “and I’ll spring for bingo if you want to go so we keep the big television.”

“I’m good with all of that,” she answered.

Finished my paperwork with the television on.

Then it was on!

One game after another.

The Belmont-Maryland game was great.

Yale battled hard. Kansas rolled and so did Murray State.

By 7:00...

...we were 7 hours in with 5 more hours to go.

“And this is about it all weekend, right?” Kathy asked.

“You ask the same question every year.”

This year, I actually thought about the fact that my years of watching Day One with my boys are dwindling.

One year...

...in the not too distant future...

I may be watching Day One alone.

“Wanna’ watch a movie?” Kathy will ask.

“Pass the cheese balls.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie