Tom Terrific

I actually watched Tom Seaver pitch a game at Candlestick Park back in 1983.

He’ll always be that age to me.

The perfect pitching form. Dropping to one knee on the follow-through.

When your nickname is Tom Terrific you’re pretty good.

On Thursday it was announced that he was retiring from public life because of dementia.

Wow!

That news came on the heels of the announcement that Alex Trebek has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

1980’s icons.

I got a call on Thursday from a co-worker. His wife just finished chemo and radiation.

The guy he works with is retiring early.

He has cancer as well.

“I need some sunshine!” The guy said. “I’ve been surrounded by so much misery.”

What can you say to that?

“The worst part is that something is going to get us too,” He said.

“Not me,” I said. “I’m immortal.”

At least he laughed at that.

“It’ll get better,” I said.

“I know, but man, you live your life and get a brutal parting gift.”

Cancer.

Alzheimer’s.

Heart attack.

Time waits for no one...

...no matter how terrific you might be.

I hope they all find peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie