In Real Life - 2002

I was scared to do it, but I have a shelf where I store the books that I’m going to read next, and somehow, one of my own...

...In Real Life was there.

It was the first book I wrote as a married man, and that was monumental because I was deathly afraid that having a wife and kids and dogs and work was going to stop me.

It was around then when I came up with the new formula.

One chapter at a time...

...think about it all week...

...write it on Saturday.

It worked.

As I picked up the book, I contemplated reading it again.

Was scared.

I’ve grown as a writer.

Was ‘In Real Life’ trash?

Well, it isn’t!

I have definitely learned some tricks since 2002, but ‘In Real Life’...

...is good!

I don’t have to shy away!

Yet, it’s funny.

There are sentences I don’t remember writing at all, but there are also sentences that I actually recall crafting.

It’s a book about a man who’s imagined life is better than what is actually happening to him.

Fiction and reality meet somewhere in the middle.

If you haven’t read it in awhile...

...do it!

I give it two thumbs up!

Weird Henry was a character who’s name I lifted from a Mellencamp song. I recall that he had just one scene. My editor insisted that I expand his role. I was so disillusioned by that request...

...she was right!

Damn editors!

They usually are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie