Yankees-Red-Sux

The texts starting coming in around 9 p.m. on Saturday.

"How the Yankees doing?"

At that time the score was Boston 8 and New York 0. The Red Sux had runners on base as well.

"I'm not paying attention," I answered. "Are they playing tonight?"

"Yes. Yes they are. Boston is going to score 20."

I didn't much feel like reminding my buddy that the Yankees had pummeled the Red Sux on Friday, but I did remind him that it was a best 2 of 3 series and that Sevy was pitching on Sunday.

"Yanks win tomorrow night, and I don't hear from you," I texted.

"We'll see! Appears to me that you just might eat those words."

Silly, silly man.

The Yankees won 11-1 on Sunday night. They hit 6 homers.

And yet, two of three wasn't quite enough for me. When I woke on Sunday morning there were five Red Sux related texts from the Saturday night beating.

And I had to answer all of those, didn't I?

Back in 1988, I had a friendly bet with a Red Sux fan, Joe, from Connecticut. We would bet $50 on the winner of a series. We were both making good money as union guys on a big job, so the bet was highly discussed and hurt if you lost.

I lost a series in June.

I gave him the crisp $50 bill.

In July he invited me to dinner and his wife and kids greeted me at the door...

...all dressed in Red Sux garb.

I almost got back in my car and headed home.

Instead, I went into their house to take the beating, and I was immediately hauled into the Red Sux room.

He showed me all his favorite memorabilia. There was signed Boggs jersey. He had a plaque celebrating their 1986 AL Championship.

"1918 was a long time ago," I mentioned.

"This is my favorite piece," Joe said.

He was pointing up at a frame which held...

...my formerly owned $50 bill.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked.

He laughed.

I can still see him laughing.

Later that summer we went to Yankee Stadium for a battle.

In the 5th inning of a scoreless game I went to the concession stand to grab us two hot dogs apiece. When I was in line Dewey Evans of the Sux hit a two-run-homer off of Tommy John.

I returned to the seats with 4 dogs and a couple of beers.

"Did you happen to watch the game while you were waiting?" Joe asked.

"I watched it," I said.

"Did you enjoy it?" Joe asked.

"Not as much as you're going to enjoy watching me eat 4 dogs and drink two beers," I said.

I honestly didn't give him one!

I sat there, forcing down the hot dogs, and the beer, as he laughed harder and harder as I gagged them down.

Ah, the rivalry.

Except it ain't really a rivalry, is it, Joe?

Twenty-seven titles to eight...

...not exactly close!

(I wonder if Joe still has that fifty).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie